What To Do In Case Of A Car Accident
A wreck can cause you to be disoriented and confused. Here are vital steps to remember in the instance of a car accident.
1. Stop your vehicle if it is clear, safe and legal.
2. Move the vehicle out of the traveled roadway, if it is clear, safe and legal. (In some states it is against the law to move the vehicle from the place where the accident occurred. Check the ordinance in your area.)
3. Turn off the ignitions of the cars involved.
4. Make a first aid check of all persons involved in the accident.
5. Call the police and, if necessary, emergency medical services.
6. Mark the scene of the accident with flares or retroreflective triangles.
7. Gather the names of all persons in the motor vehicles and people who witnessed the accident.
8. Make a quick diagram of where the vehicle occupants were seated and indicate the vehicles’ direction of travel and lane. Also note the date, time and weather conditions.
9. Ask to see the other driver’s license and write down the number.
10. Exchange insurance company information. DO NOT discuss “fault” or make statements about the accident to anyone but the police.
11. Get a copy of the police report of the accident from the local precinct.